Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review: Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald

Title: Getting Over Garrett Delaney
Author: Abby McDonald
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Releaste Date: January 24, 2012
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Pages: 336
Format: eBook
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Bookdepository
Read from February 23 - 25, 2012
My rating: 5 stars: I love it! It's amazing! + Favorite
SummarySeventeen-year-old Sadie is in love: epic, heartfelt, and utterly onesided. The object of her obsession - ahem, affection - is her best friend, Garrett Delaney, who has been oblivious to Sadie's feelings ever since he sauntered into her life and wowed her with his passion for Proust (not to mention his deep-blue eyes). For two long, painful years, Sadie has been Garrett's constant companion, sharing his taste in everything from tragic Russian literature to art films to '80s indie rock - all to no avail. But when Garrett leaves for a summer literary retreat, Sadie is sure that the absence will make his heart grow fonder - until he calls to say he's fallen in love. With some other girl! A heartbroken Sadie realizes that she's finally had enough. It's time for total Garrett detox! Aided by a barista job, an eclectic crew of new friends (including the hunky chef, Josh), and a customized self-help guide, Sadie embarks on a summer of personal reinvention full of laughter, mortifying meltdowns, and a double shot of love.


You know, once in a while, there comes a book that tells the story of your life, or something that reminds you very much of it. Be it just a part of the whole thing, or everything that happens in the book has actually happened to you. When a book like this comes along, it's hard not to have a feeling of nostalgia as you read, or once you finish reading it. It might break your heart, make you cry, fill you with indescribable sadness, mixed with the joy of having it past you now. No more drowning in those tears he always successfully and easily summoned from you. GETTING OVER GARRETT DELANEY is a bittersweet reminiscence for that part of my life. 

Don't get me wrong. This is not a sad book. If anything, it's a hilarious one with witty prose. I love the story,  I love the character development, I love the writing, I love the ending. I love this book!


Two years ago, Sadie was in a local coffee shop reading Pablo Neruda's love poems when Garrett Delaney walked into her life. She immediately felt that he was everything she had been waiting for. Fifty percent prep, twenty percent punk, thirty percent old-school British indie rock, and one hundred percent gorgeous -- that's Garrett for you. Sadie fell madly in love with this new best friend of hers and let her life form its shape around him -- his shape. Having the hairstyle she knew he liked, wearing simple boring clothes so he wouldn't judge her, reading Russian literature and watching movies and listening to music that he loved so. She practically forgot who she'd actually been before he came around. She cherished their friendship, but always wished for something more, for that one day when he would finally fall in love with her.

Now those two years have passed, Sadie is comfortable with the life that she's built around Garrett. When he goes to a writing camp for six week, Sadie is left alone, separated from Garrett for the first time in two years, and has to find a job. One day while she's working in the coffee shop, Garrett calls and tells her he's in love with a girl in the camp, and asks her for advice. That's when Sadie realizes she has to start GETTING OVER GARRETT DELANEY for good. With on-and-off determination, 12-step plan from her mother's self-help book, and a lot of support from friends, Sadie sets off to figure out who she is without Garrett, discover her personal likes and dislikes without the influence of Garrett, and finally getting over this painful unrequited crush she has on her best friend. 

This book makes me want to go curl up in bed and cry and cry and cry right now. It inevitably reminds me of those years when the life of my younger and more stupid, love-blind self revolved around this jerk of a guy who enjoyed keeping me in misery so much that he refused to let me get over him even a little bit. This was just heart-wrenching for me to see Sadie go through almost everything that I myself have been put through. The unclear boundaries, the long phone calls that seemed to never end, the asking for advice about love and some other girls that wasn't me. The pain, the tears, the several attempts to get over him. The pathetic years of my life I spent pining away, wishing he would finally see me. All to no avail.

I love Sadie. She's very relatable. I believe every girl has been in her position, being head over heels for their best friend. The descriptions of her emotions are so real, so touching. I could feel myself feeling the same things she's feeling. And sometimes just reading her feelings, all those things came rushing back to me. I think she represents us girls who have been there. I love how her character develops and how she slowly tries new things and starts feeling comfortable with her life without Garrett. 

Abby McDonald's writing in this book is incredibly enjoyable. I love the way the 12 steps are inserted right between chapters. That makes it easier for me to keep up with Sadie's progress and what she's going to do. This book is also very cleverly written and well-plotted. There are many beautiful sentences that had me gaping at, and those that made me laugh and smile. I couldn't put this book down. It's very addictive and fun to read! 

In addtion, I'm glad the book ends the way it does. I loved the ending. So powerful and symbolic. 

Recommended! GETTING OVER GARRETT DELANEY is a wonderful read! 


------------------------

This review is also posted on Goodreads.
I received an e-galley of this book from NetGalley and Candlewick Press for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...