Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review: Airhead by Meg Cabot

Title: Airhead
Author: Meg Cabot
Series: Airhead, #1
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Release Date May 13, 2008
Publisher: Point
Pages: 337
Format: Hardcover
Links: Website | Goodreads | Amazon (hardcover) | Amazon (paperback) | Bookdepository (paperback) | Bookdepository (hardcover)
Read from February 7 - 13, 2012
My rating: 3 stars: I like it
Summary: She's a brainiac trapped in the body of an airhead . . . Teenagers Emerson Watts and Nikki Howard have nothing in common. Em's a tomboy-braniac who couldn't care less about her looks. Nikki's a stunning supermodel: the world's most famous airhead. But a freak accident causes the girls' lives to collide in the most extraordinary way - and suddenly Em knows more about Nikki's life than the paparazzi ever has. 


I used to be a huge fan of Meg Cabot when I was in secondary school and high school. She could do no wrong in my eyes. Back in those days I would re-read The Princess Diaries series over and over and over and fantasize about meeting my own Michael Moscovitz, whom Meg Cabot successfully made me believe is the perfect guy -- my dream guy (he still is!). Those were the days... But then I grew out of teen books, and so Meg Cabot fell into my history.

I've been meaning to read Airhead since it first came out in 2008, but high school (as well as my disgusting Twilight obsession) was taking up all my spare time. And now I'm thinking that if I'd read Airhead when I was still in high school, I would've loved this book. As I told you, Meg could do no wrong in my eyes. But now that I've grown out of Meg Cabot and read and seen a lot and learned to love and hate a lot of books, I can judge this book without being biased. I didn't love it. I didn't even really like it. I found it okay and enjoyable, and then that's it.

Airhead is a story about Em Watts, who accompanies her sister Frida to the opening of a new mall, and has an accident there. Basically, a giant TV falls on her and kills her on the spot right in front of her best friend and crush Christopher and her sister. Nikki Howard, a supermodel who happens to be near the scene, faints and hits her head so hard that it kills her brain. Em wakes up in the hospital about a month later (if I'm not mistaken) in the body of Nikki Howard. A brain transplant happened. Em's brain survives while Nikki's body is still functioning. And Nikki is too precious to lose. Businesses will die if she dies. So that's why. And now Em has to live Nikki's life.


I find this brain transplant idea pretty cool. I think the story has a potential to turn out great, but sadly it didn't. Meg Cabot killed it with Em obsessing over trying to impress Christopher with her Nikki body, wondering how much impact her death has on him, and dealing with Nikki's boys drama. And when the book ends, nothing happens. Hmm, I don't like this.

I realized that this book is a part of a series, but I think that a book should be able to have a good story while standing alone too. This book simply doesn't.

Another thing I didn't like about this book is the writing. I loved Meg Cabot's style in The Princess Diaries, and I still see it in Airhead, but unfortunately it doesn't work in this. She could pull it off with Mia because Mia is always obsessive and panicked and funny, so the style of writing suits her character extremely well, whereas with Em it's just annoying. I don't see why Em has to constantly remind the readers that she's in Nikki Howard's body, she's in Nikki Howard's bedroom, she's looking at Nikki Howard's dog, and she can't believe how huge Nikki Howard's walk-in closet is, blah blah blah. I mean, come on, I get it. The excessive repetition of this name is very off-putting.

I also didn't feel connected to any of the characters at all. I don't particularly like anyone.

Sounds negative, eh? Why 3 stars then, you might ask. Well, I did enjoy parts of it, though it's quite difficult to recall what those are. It's a love/hate thing. Usually when this happens, it's just either 1 star or 3. With The Time Traveler's Wife, I ended up giving it just 1, although it did have a potential to be great, just like Airhead.

What's more, there are a lot of unanswered questions that I suppose will be answered in the second or the last book. However, I'm not sure if I want to continue with this series. The first book didn't impress me.


------------------------

This review is also posted on Goodreads.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading just about all of her books. They are funny, light, and well-written.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...