Monday, December 10, 2012

Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Lost Prince 
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Release Date: October 23, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: Paperback
Pages: 379
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Bookdepository
Read from November 12 to 21, 2012
My rating: 3 stars: I like it
SummaryDon’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them. That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for. Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten. 


There is a whole unknown world that exists around us, side by side, and no one knows it is there. Except for a few. A very rare few, who can see what no one else can. And the spirits of this world can be helpful or harmful, friendly or wicked, but above all, those who see the invisible world are constantly trapped by it. They will always walk between two lives, and they will have to find a way to balance them both. 

When I finished this book almost three weeks ago, I decided I wasn't pumped about it enough to write a review. You see, since I had neither praises nor criticisms, there was nothing worth saying, right? But since the day I finished the book, I couldn't help but feel bad for leaving it without saying anything. I felt I owed the original Iron Fey series that much to at least say something instead of just letting it pass me by.

I had high hopes for it. I did. And I guess everyone did, too. The Iron Fey series has been unimaginably fun, and after four main books, I'd grown to adore the Nevernever and everything in it. I remember Ethan, that little boy who was so quiet, who could see fairies, who was mature even when he was 4 years old. Well, he's grown up now, and he's changed. Broody Ethan hates the fairies' guts, which isn't very surprising since he thinks they took his sister away from him and made her their Queen, making it unlikely that she would come home. Ethan lives his life in fear of Them. He keeps a low profile, making sure to never attract any unwanted attention. His plan was going quite well until Kenzie St. James wants to be this tough guy's friend, and until Ethan accidentally looks straight at a fairy, and now They know he can see Them. Ethan then gets involved, involuntarily, with a new kind of fairies—the "Forgotten." And that leads him to the Nevernever, the place he never wants to set foot in, ever. But there he is.

I liked that this book brings back the old characters; it's a delight to see them all again. Meghan, Ash, Puck, Grimalkin, Razor, and what a surprise, Keirran! And he has a love interest! Honestly, I didn't particularly love the story. I felt it was quite mediocre, like The Iron Knight, only a bit better. I din't instantly like Ethan with his brooding nature, nor Kenzie with all her contrived enthusiasm to have something to do with the fairies. I think their characters are a bit too much, too constrained. Possibly to achieve sharp and clear contrasts between them, you know, opposites attract and whatnots. I had a hard time believing anything in this book, including their relationship development. One minute Ethan doesn't one to have her around, then another he wants to kiss her. As I said, it felt unnatural.

Admittedly, I was greatly disappointed. I was expecting mind-blowing, earth-shattering, but I only got alright and mediocre. A letdown, if I may. I guess I had my hopes up too high. Still a fun book on the whole, though. Looking forward to the next book!

------------------------
This review is also posted on Goodreads.
I received a digital copy from NetGalley and the publisher for review.

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post....
    Kızlık zarı
    Genital estetik

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...